USB does not appear on WIndows 10

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
Muskateer
USB does not appear on WIndows 10

Post by Muskateer »

After installing the drivers and software on a Windows 10 machine, The Roboclaw 2X45AST does not appear. Actually, nothing happens. When I search the drivers location there is absolutely no trace of the driver although it states after it installs that it is ready for use. I have tried 2 USB cables, 2 Windows 10 computers, to no avail. Other devices connect to the USB port perfectly "on both machines." the 2x45AST simply will not be recognized by USB. The firmware is 4.1.16 Hardware V5 (per the packaging the motor driver was shipped in).
Basicmicro Support
Re: USB does not appear on WIndows 10

Post by Basicmicro Support »

First, are you powering the Roboclaw? It must be powered. It will not use the USB connection for power.

Second, assuming you are powering the Roboclaw, Open the device manager and then plug in the roboclaw and see if the Device manager refreshes. Im not familiar enough with Win10 to know if the "ding" in makeswhen a USB device connects happens without a properly installed driver so device manager is your best bet to see if the PC sees the Roboclaw USB at all.

Third, you may need to install the Roboclaw drivers with Win 10 driver signature checking disabled. Here is a link to how to disable this temperarily while installing the driver.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... 248?auth=1
cfol

Post by cfol »

I am having the same problem. I installed the driver (DPinst64), plugged in the powered Roboclaw (mine is the 60 amp model) and nothing happens. I disabled the Win 10 driver signature (per your third suggestion), reinstalled the driver, and plugged the Roboclaw back in. Nothing. It doesn't show up in the device manager. My laptop doesn't even make a sound when I plug it in.
Basicmicro Support

1. Check if it shows up when the Roboclaw is in bootloader mode. Press the mode button while powering on the board. The 3 LEDs will begin to cycle. Plug in the usb cable(try a second USB cable). Do not use a USB hub when testing this. Plug it directly into the PCs USB port. I would also suggest trying it on a desktop PC. I've had laptops that would not work, old Toshibas to be specific.

2. Assuming nothing happens in 1. your USB connector on the Roboclaw is probably damaged(one or more of the pins soldered to the board may have broken. This is not repairable by you so you will need to send the board in to be repaired.
Muskateer

Post by Muskateer »

Providing external power solved my issue. I forgot to post a response earlier. Thank You
Basicmicro Support

Thanks for the update. Just so everyone is clear you must power the Roboclaw directly when using USB. The Roboclaw does not take power from the USB port.