Roboclaw 2x60A V5 usb slot came off

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
gannicus
Roboclaw 2x60A V5 usb slot came off

Post by gannicus »

Hi,

Today I just noticed the usb slot came off, is there a way to fix?
Basicmicro Support
Re: Roboclaw 2x60A V5 usb slot came off

Post by Basicmicro Support »

We can solder it back on. I dont recommend you try doing it yourself unless you have a hot air rework station and are reasonably good at soldering. From the picture it doesnt look like any pads got ripped off so it should be fairly simple for us to fix.

Send it in to our contact address.
gannicus

Post by gannicus »

Ok thanks, I posted it back.
gannicus

Post by gannicus »

acidtech wrote:We can solder it back on. I dont recommend you try doing it yourself unless you have a hot air rework station and are reasonably good at soldering. From the picture it doesnt look like any pads got ripped off so it should be fairly simple for us to fix.

Send it in to our contact address.
Hi, I've posted to you 2 weeks ago, have you received it?
Basicmicro Support

What is the name on the return package? I've received a 60a board on Friday that appears to be yours but you never posted your name in this thread so I cant be sure. Assuming it is we will repair it either today or tomorrow and ship it back.
gdoisy

Post by gdoisy »

Same issue on a 2x30A, did not manage to resold it. How long would it take to ship and back from europe?
Basicmicro Support

If it is happening on multiple units I'd suggest tying down the USB cable when in use. The USB connectors are not designed to have any significant load put on them. Also some USB cables connector ends are out of spec so when pushing them in it is very hard. If you push to hard it could tear the connector off.

For international shipments we ship the RMAs back vie First Class International Mail. For Europe I'd expect from 5 to 10 days.

To resold the USB connectors you really have to use a hot air rework station. Otherwise even if you get the connector back on its most likely just going to get ripped off again.
gdoisy

Post by gdoisy »

Thanks for your answer, we ordered a new one in order not too loose too much time but I sent an email to the customer support to make a repair anyway.
We will take extra care of the usb slot from now, but for your information, we used a 2x15a roboclaw in the exact same configuration and never had any issues before, it seems that on this specific 2x30a board the usb slot was not as strong.
Basicmicro Support

Good to know. I've sent a notice to our production line to make a seperate extra inspection of the USB connector solder points. That wont prevent the USB connector from being ripped off under all circumstances but it will insure it is as strong as it can be.