RobotClaw 2x15A 2 motors not running simultaneously

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
melounet
RobotClaw 2x15A 2 motors not running simultaneously

Post by melounet »

Hi there,

I wanted to test the functionality of the robotclaw using the IonMotion with 2 motors. The motors are from Pololu : https://www.pololu.com/product/1445
Problem is that only one of the two motors is working, whatever the tension is.
The second battery is always seen as low in the device status : https://puu.sh/sle5J/f7adf4772f.png

The RobotClaw seems to be working and the motors too

I do not know if I made a mistake somewhere, or if I should put specific values in the software.

Thanks
Basicmicro Support
Re: RobotClaw 2x15A 2 motors not running simultaneously

Post by Basicmicro Support »

I'm not sure what you mean by the second battery is always seen as low.

If you mean the second temp sensor(temp 2), it is always 0 on the lower current rated Roboclaws(they only have one temp sensor). Only the larger 120 and 160 amp controllers have dual sensors(since they are physically bigger they need them).

How is the second motor not working? First you say it is not working and then you say both motors are working so I'm guessing you mean the encoder on the second motor is not working?

Have you swapped the motors on the motor/encoder channels of the roboclaw to see if the problem follows the second motor or if it is specific to that particular Roboclaw channel? If it follows the motor then that motor has a problem.
melounet

Post by melounet »

Have you swapped the motors on the motor/encoder channels of the roboclaw to see if the problem follows the second motor or if it is specific to that particular Roboclaw channel? If it follows the motor then that motor has a problem.
I have swapped the encoder channels of the robotclaw and the problem does not follow the second motor which was not running.
However, when I change all the motor channels from the first motor to the another, the second motor is running and not the first one, so the motors doesn't have a problem.
The IonMotion software detects signal from the encoders, so the encoders should be working.

I then measured the current in the motors before and after swapping all the motors channels and found out that there is no current coming out from M2's channels.

I believe the issue comes from channels M2A and M2B of the Roboclaw, which don't deliver current to motors.
Basicmicro Support

Post by Basicmicro Support »

What control mode are you using to run the motors? PWM, Velocity or Position control? If you are using Velocity or Position control, please test the M2 channel using PWM control. Also make sure you have not checked the Sync Motor checkbox in IonMotion. if the motor channel still doesnt work then you will need to send it in so we can diagnose the problem and repair or replace the board.