Need some help with wiring

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
gannicus
Need some help with wiring

Post by gannicus »

Hi,

I have a brushed motor, but this motor is a bit different to my other motors. As the picture shown below, it has A1 A2 and D1 D2, not only positive an negative.

When I wire the motor same as the picture on the left, doesn't matter how I connect positive and negative, the motor always rotate clockwise. So when I connect the motor to Roboclaw controller, it doesn't matter I put motor speed to positive or negative, the motor always rotate clockwise.

Same thing happens if I wire the motor same as the picture on the right, it doesn't matter the motor speed is positive or negative, the motor always rotate counter clockwise.

I'm wondering how can I wire it so that when I put motor speed positive the motor rotate clockwise and when I put motor speed negative it rotate counter clockwise? Can I do it with Roboclaw controller or do I need something else? Basically I want to switch wire on the left picture to the right picture without actually change the wire.

Morris
Re: Need some help with wiring

Post by Morris »

Hi gannicus,

is your motor a 'seriemotor or a compound?

could you give me the exact spec's of you motor?.. e.g.type plate.. i can't read it well from the picture.

regards,

Tom
gannicus

Post by gannicus »

Hi Tom,

It is a dc series motor, the motor is using a forward reverse switch originally. By using that switch the wire switch between the 2 diagram.

I'm wondering if it is possible to use Roboclaw controller to replace the forward reverse switch.

Thanks.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Hi gannicus,

Aha, could you sort out witch one is the rotor , and witch one is the field coil? if so, you could wire the field and rotor in series.., so the magnetic field could only be reversed by switching positive and negative..no switching in the coil's are needed then.
your setup now, is that you have your field-coil and rotor in parallel, so you could mechanically (by switch) reverse the field.... of the rotor or field..only One of those..
But... if you hookup the rotor and field in series, the possibility exist that your power will be less then the motor is designed for.. in series... voltage will dividing by two.. also the current...

regards,

Tom
gannicus

Post by gannicus »

Hi Tom,

I don't think I can change wire of the field coil and rotor.

The picture below shows the original wiring of the motor with a forward reverse switch, I feel like I may need a relay here? Can roboclaw controller acting as a relay?

Thanks
Morris

Post by Morris »

Hi gannicus,

The switch.. is it a cross/parallel switch? and witch of the coil's/rotor is switched?
we are not stuck by Chinese wiring.. if you unscrew the mounting plate.. write down the color, or numbers of the wires.. and and check the position of those.

determine the rotor, and field coil's.if necessary, unscrew the plate with the brushes..for visual inspection...
and if so.. you could set the field and rotor in parallel.. for test.. use 24 volts.. if run the right rpm..don't use 48 volt's... if not..48volts it is.

Roboclaw is NOT a relays.. its a H-bridge, and powerhouse..(for me 8-) )

try this for starters.. and keep me informed... ( btw, nice motor..900w, 48volts, ..about 20amps.. nice powerhouse!