Roboclaw PID doesnt work after firmware update (4.1.12 -> 4.1.19)

General discussion of using Roboclaw motor controllers
mairasaboia
Roboclaw PID doesnt work after firmware update (4.1.12 -> 4.1.19)

Post by mairasaboia »

Hi,

I have the Roboclaw 15A module and have been successfully using it along with ROS. However, after I updated the firmware (4.1.12 -> 4.1.19), re-tuned for PID using ION Studio and tested command velocities, it no longer seems to work correctly.

Whatever velocity input I give, it always rotates continuosly at maximum speed and never stops, even though there is no command velocity given. Can someone please help? Our entire project relies on these modules to fucntion correctly.

P.S: I emailed tech support and tried the new roboclaw ROS driver as well.
Basicmicro Support
Re: Roboclaw PID doesnt work after firmware update (4.1.12 -> 4.1.19)

Post by Basicmicro Support »

1. Download and install Ion Studio. Ion Motion is now legacy. Ion Studio firmware is 4.1.23).

2. Assuming that doesnt fix your problem, after updating the firmware you may need to check all your settings again. Make sure the encoder channel is on the currect motor, make sure the encoder is going in the correct direction, then run the autotuner or manually tune the motor and save the settings to the board.

3. I had a customer that had a similar sounding problem and it turned out the forgot the last step(save your settings to the Roboclaw).